Break Away From The Pack
Co-founder and Principal
Christopher W. Rowlett, Breakaway Partners’ co-founder, focuses on financial advisor compliance issues, corporate formation for transitioning advisors, preparation of corporate organization, operating and employment documents, and counseling advisors on employment matters before, during and following the transition to a new platform. Mr. Rowlett assists advisors nationwide to form and manage their practices, and has stewarded over 100 successful transitions.
Mr. Rowlett is also a highly skilled securities and employment trial attorney who possesses extensive litigation experience before state and federal trial courts, appellate courts, administrative bodies, as well as FINRA, JAMS, AAA and other arbitration forums. Clients seek his counsel and expertise in employment, non-compete, trade secret, contractual disputes, and many other types of complex commercial litigation. Mr. Rowlett’s clients include multi-national Fortune 100 corporations, large national corporations, family-owned companies, registered representatives, and individual entrepreneurs throughout the financial industry.
Prior to forming Breakaway Partners, Mr. Rowlett was a Partner at Honigman Miller Schwartz & Cohn in Detroit, Michigan from 2013 – 2016 where he was a member of the firm’s Labor and Employment practice group. Prior to Honigman, Mr. Rowlett was an associate attorney at Luce Forward Hamilton & Scripps, and subsequently McKenna Long & Aldridge, in San Diego.
- RIA Formation
- Practice Migration
- Employment Issues
- Financial Industry Dispute Resolution
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- University of Michigan Law School at Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- J.D. - 2007
- University of Michigan
- B.S.E. - 2004
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Aerospace Engineering
- Honigman Miller Schwartz & Cohn, Partner, 2013 to 2016
- Luce Forward Hamilton & Scripps, Associate Attorney
- McKenna Long & Aldridge, Associate Attorney
- Mr. Rowlett has successfully transitioned dozens of financial advisors with AUM ranging from $70 million to $3+ billion.
- Mr. Rowlett has defended both Fortune 100 securities firms and RIA platforms, along with their associated advisors, against claims for raiding, improper solicitation of clients, breach of contract, misuse of alleged confidential and trade secret information, unfair business practices, tortious interference, and efforts to obtain immediate and permanent injunctive relief and damages.
- Mr. Rowlett represents RIA firms in compliance and SEC examinations.
- Mr. Rowlett represents employers of all sizes in wage and hour, discrimination, retaliation, and other employment litigation.
- Mr. Rowlett has successfully defeated dozens of requests for injunctive relief, both in state and federal court and before various arbitration panels.